Ancient Chinese Steamed Spare Ribs Recipe
If you want something quick and easy to make, then what better dish than this one?
If you are a fan of Chinese food and you love your meat, then what better dish to have than Chinese steamed spare ribs?
These are not only very tasty to eat, with a rich and sumptuous sauce, but they come with a side of black beans. These little beans are great for your digestive system.
If you are a novice chef, then making food might be quite difficult. Not so with this meal! All you have to do is chop these up with a cleaver and throw them in your steamer.
You can also use an oven without a steam function, just make sure that you throw a cup of water into the oven before pressing the on button.
If you are preparing a large Chinese buffet, then steamed ribs are simply one of the best dishes to have on your platter.
The way they are prepared will also really reduce your calorie count as well as your waistline, giving you more than enough room in your belly to eat more delicious Chinese treats.
So how do you make this delicious Chinese spare rib dish? How much will it cost you for the ingredients? How long will it take you to make? Do you need to make sure that you follow the instructions before beginning?
Well, don’t worry, because we have answers to all of these questions and a whole lot more, with our handy guide to making Chinese steamed ribs.
Why Eat Chinese Steamed Spare Ribs?
One of the main reasons that people eat this dish is that, due to the preparation method, it is much healthier for you than ribs grilled traditionally. This avoids a lot of the oils and other fatty elements that you will need to cook your ribs properly in a wok or a skillet.
You don’t even have to be that skilled with a cleaver to chip up your pork pieces. Simply slice your ribs up into manageable chunks to get them to cook smoothly and thoroughly.
You can serve these ribs over rice as a meal or you can simply serve them up by themselves as part of a buffet.
Now that we’ve given you a few reasons that you should have this meal, let’s get to the recipe itself. First, you’ll need to make sure that you have all the ingredients before embarking on your cooking area.
The last thing you’ll want for your meal is to be halfway through it before realizing that you don’t have a crucial item.
How To Make This Dish
Now you might find that there are a lot of ingredients in this dish, but don’t let that stop you from making it. They are very easy to prepare, a lot of the items on this list are mainly seasoning.
- 450 grams of pork ribs – you can get this from any butcher and they will even slice it up for you.
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 and a half teaspoons of salt
- 1 tablespoon of Shaoxing wine – this is a traditional Chinese wine that you can probably find at your local Asian market.
- 1 eighth of a teaspoon of ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 2 tablespoons of long, hot green peppers – these will need to be chopped and deseeded.
- 2 tablespoons of long, hot red peppers – also chopped and deseeded
- 1 tablespoon of Chinese fermented black beans – these need to be washed completely.
Now that you have everything in hand, it’s time to get stuck in and make your delicious steamed spare ribs recipe.
- Take your spare ribs and combine them in a bowl with the sugar, salt, wine, sesame oil and white pepper.
- Once they are mixed, keep them in overnight to allow the flavor to become infused into the meat.
- However, you can also let this meat stew for around 30 minutes, this is perfect if you are pushed for time.
- After the mix is marinated well, then add the cornstarch. At this point, the mixture should have no liquid in it at all.
- Place the ribs on a heatproof plate and begin the steaming process. Sprinkle the peppers and the fermented black beans over this mixture.
- Now take some water and bring it to a mild heat. Place the plates of spare ribs in your heating apparatus. Steam until the ribs are completely cooked through.
- Serve as dim sum or some other such meal. If you have rice alongside it, then the meal will take you a little longer to prepare.
There, that’s all there is to it. Make sure that you have the right steaming apparatus, putting your ribs on one rack and the pot of water on the other.
What Else You Need To Know
This dish only has around 300 calories in it, so you can easily enjoy them as a standalone meal. We would recommend that you add some plain white rice to pad the whole thing out. This meal also has a lot of sodium and vitamin A in it.
This is a great meal that can be served by itself or as part of a large Chinese buffet. We would recommend buying some little dim sum bowls and serving the ribs on a bed of plain white rice.
Our Final Say
We hope that our meal plan has given you the confidence to be able to try this dish, as when you get over the hurdle of buying all the ingredients, it really is very simple to make. Make sure that you have all the ingredients lined up before you start the cooking process.